Image of flaming whopperMORE proof that we Brits are clueless with barbecues after a bloke in Surrey tried to cook a few sausages – and sent 10ft-long jets of flame shooting across the street.

A family in Cheam were cooking in the garden when the feed hose from the barbecue to the gas cylinder caught fire, sending out huge streams of fire.

Firefighters eventually controlled the blaze but only after evacuating the house in case the cylinder exploded.

Remember the golden rule kids: Never – EVER – start a barbecue without an Australian in your garden. For the price of a tin of vegemite, it could save your life.